Dedicated to destinations for future generations
Green Destinations Ambassadors: an exclusive community of professionals committed to the well-being of destinations and the development of responsible tourism. GD Ambassadors share knowledge and experiences with colleagues from around the world. Together with experts and solution providers, GD Ambassadors help their destination to improve by implementing ‘green solutions’.
Become an Ambassador!
What are the benefits?
- Learning and training
Ambassadors are encouraged to indicate their interest and to share knowledge with other ambassadors in small workshops, for which accommodation could be provided by an from the hotel sector. Each Ambassador can feel free to take such an initiative through the goups on the social media.
Get fresh ideas from many other people who are also committed to the well-being of their destination. The “Green Destinations Ambassadors” groups on Facebook and LinkedIn, and workshops, will provide fresh ideas and new inspiration.
Active ambassadors can greatly benefit from the combined publicity of the Green Destinations Media Partners. A recent highlight has been the inauguration of the first Ambassadors at Global GDDay, 27-28 September.
But more importantly, GD Ambassadors play an essential role in making an online Green Travel Map, showing travelers all over the world what the destination has to offer in the field of authentic natural and cultural experiences!
Who can be an Ambassador?
One destination can be represented by several Ambassadors. The Ambassador Community includes people of different professional backgrounds:
- Political leaders, elected members of the local or regional council
- Destination managers responsible for sustainability, or marketing
- Business leaders, like hotel managers and owners
- Civil society and opinion leaders.
What is the Ambassador’s commitment?
In a GD Ambassadors Community, you do not pay a fee, but make a commitment, which can include:
- Taking initiatives to adopt the Green Destinations Criteria or Standard in 2017 (International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development)
- Promoting sustainable tourism, in your own destination or country, and for green destinations in general
- Inspiring others to become a GD Ambassador
- Contributing to the Ambassador Training programme by helping to host a workshop in your destination.
Management of the community
The Ambassadors Community is developing in combination with the Green Destinations Network. The Green Destinations Committee is now consisting of:
- Mr Carlos Bernardes, Mayor of Torres Vedras, president of the European Ambassadors community;
- leaders of the Green Destinations, QualityCoast and Slovenia Green programme, representing ca. sixty committed green destinations.